Good light is always important but sometimes an image needs this little extra kick.
Below you can see a before & after comparison. Further down in the video I explain how this was done in detail. I mainly use “Radial Blur” and layer masks in Photoshop for this effect.
Before & After
In this video I’ll show you how you can easily create this effect in only 2 min.
- Duplicate Layer
- Increase canvas so that the sun is in the center (Radial Blur always applies to the center)
- Apply Radial Blur with Zoom checked
- Apply Lens Flare if you like
- Crop again to original size
- Apply layer mask to alpha the trees and lower or increase brightness with Curves (Alt+click on the mask)
- Apply a gradient or paint on the mask where you want the rays to be more or less prominent (Fade with multiply)
- Be playful and artistic, you can colorize the highlights a bit orange or use dodge and burn to further improve the appearance of the rays.
I hope this was useful. Please keep in mind that I can not do all this for free without your help. If you would like to support me you can do this by purchasing my images, posters or my book. Thank you very much!
A little sneak preview about possible upcoming topics:
- Lets talk about taste
- HDR Obsolete – but if, do it right
- Common Mistakes